Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Valentine's Day Salad

We'll be staying in for Valentine's Day- no fancy dinners out for us this year.  So I'll try to make something special at home.  This heart salad is on the menu.

 To make an ordinary salad for Valentine's I added heart shaped Parmesan crisps and croutons.  They are both really easy and quick.   Here's how I made the cheese crisps:
I like a recipe with one ingredient.  Grate about 3/4 of a cup of Parmesan cheese...
 Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.  Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to make little mounds of grated cheese...

It should look like this going into the oven.  Bake at 400 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes...
 And they look like this coming out of the oven...
 Let cool and carefully remove with a spatula...
 
 Add them to your salad (or soups, to top a roast, etc.)  They are crispy and delicious!  I saw the heart shaped croutons years and years ago in a Martha Stewart magazine.  This link shows you how to make them, although I ended up making mine slightly different.  Instead of baking them I toasted the croutons in a skillet with olive oil and Mrs. Dash garlic pepper.  Either way, they are pretty easy.
 A special salad for your someone special.  I hope my valentines love it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...