Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Felt Jesse Tree Ornaments Continued

So here are the rest of my Jesse Tree ornaments.  Overall I like the way they turned out, though there are a couple I might change out in years to come.  For now these will do just fine.  I've included verses to read with each ornament that I have found online.  I haven't read through each day's verses yet, so I don't know if we will follow these verses exactly.  For example last night was day three for us, Noah's arc and the rainbow.  We read the story of the arc from our Jesus Storybook Bible instead of regular scripture.  I think I'll try to use that version when we can for better understanding.
Still to come... our Jesse Tree(s) setup- trees, boxes, etc.
 
 Day 7: Coat of Many Colors - symbolizes Joseph - read Genesis 37:3-4, 12-24, 28
 Day 8: The Ten Commandments - symbolizes Moses - read Deuteronomy 5:1-22
 Day 9: Grapes - symbolizes the Promised Land/Canaan - read Genesis 17:7-8, Numbers 13:1-2, 17-18, 20, 23, 27
 Day 10: Sheaf of wheat - symbolizes Ruth - read Ruth 1:15-2:3
 Day 11: Slingshot - symbolizes David - read 1Samuel 16:14-23; 17:12-51
Day 12: Scroll - symbolizes God's forgotten scroll - read 2Kings 22:2, 23:1-3
 Day 13: Stump - symbolizes shoot from Jesse - read Isaiah 11:6-10 
Day 14: The Lion and the Lamb - symbolizes the New Creation - read Isaiah 11:6-10 
 Day 15: Crown - symbolizes Prince of Peace - read Isaiah 9:2, 6-7
 Day 16: Shepard's crook - The Good Shepard - read Ezekial 34:2b, 4-5, 10-12, 15a, 16a, 23-24
Day 17: The Cross - symbolizes the Suffering Servant - read Isaiah 53:4-7, 9, 12b
 Day 18: Heart - symbolizes The New Covenant - read Jeremiah 31:31-33, Hebrews 9:13-15
Day 19: City - symbolizes Bethlehem - read Micah 5:1-5a, Luke 2:4-7
Day 20: the Firey Furnace - symbolizes exile and persecution - read 2Kings 17:23, Daniel 3:19, 21, 28
Day 21: Brick Wall - symbolizes return to Jerusalem/ prep for Messiah - read Nehemiah 1:3, 2:18, 6:15-16, Revelation 21:10-14
Day 22: Star- symbolizes Jesus/ star that lead the Magi - read Numbers 24:17-19a, Matthew 2:1-6, 9-11
Day 23: Candle - symbolizes the Light of the World - read Psalm 27:1-3, John 1:9, 8:12
Day 24: Angle - proclaimed miraculous birth - read Matthew 1:20-25, Luke 1:26-38, 
 Day 25: The Nativity - symbolizes the birth of Christ - read Luke 2: 1-21

13 comments:

Carrie said...

your ornaments are amazing! Do you sell sets of them?

matt & sarah said...

Thanks Carrie! Unfortunately I'm not selling any right now, but if I do in the future I'll post about it.

Lesli Douglass said...

Your ornaments are beautiful. I am invited to a Jesse tree ornament exchange and need to make 30 colorful coat ornaments. Yours is the prettiest one I've found! Would you think I'm crazy for wanting to make 30 of them?? Can you give me any hints on how you did your cut outs for the coat?

Jennifer said...

Did you use a sewing machine to put these together or hand stitch them with embroidery thread?

matt & sarah said...

Jennifer- I always hand stich my felt projects with embroidery floss. Because they are so small I find it's easier to do it by hand than with my machine. Check out my friend Mandy's ornaments at http://mandypelton.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-felt-jesse-tree-ornaments.html
These are the ones that inspired mine, and I think she sewed hers on a machine. Happy sewing!

matt & sarah said...

More or Less-
The coat ornament was probably the hardest one to make because it has so many different pieces of felt. It would take me a long time to make 30 of them. You are probably a faster crafter than I am, so you might be able to crank them out. I usually cut my felt by hand, just eyeballing it, which is why it takes me awhile. Look at my friend Mandy's ornaments at http://mandypelton.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-felt-jesse-tree-ornaments.html
She spells out her freezer paper technique and her ornaments are beautiful! Happy sewing!

Becky at "Cheese My Head" said...

I love these! This is our first year to do the Jessie Tree, and I'm excited to try and re-create some of your ornaments. I'm sure they won't be as impeccable, though! Your's are stunning!

Name said...

Hi! I just came across this and love your ornaments. Can you tell me how you adhered the ribbon to the ornament? Thanks!

mb said...

I would like to know what type of felt you used or where you purchased yours from? These are beautiful!

Renee Cook said...

Hi, I know I'm finding this post a couple years later, but I'd like to make these this year. You mentioned you stitch yours by hand w/ embroidery floss. Then, do you need a special embroidery needle too? Is it just like hand stitching a hem with a needle and thread or do you need embroidery experience? Also, do you use the whole strand of embroidery thread or pull them apart? (clearly an embroidery newbie...) :) Thanks!!

Caris said...

Hi Renee Cook, I had the same questions, so I asked my needle-crafting aunt and also Googled it!
My aunt who's been embroidering for decades said she always separates the embroidery thread into 3 strands and 3 strands. I don't think you need a special needle, just one with a sharp point for getting through layers of felt and large enough eye for 3 strands of floss. If you add any bead embellishments, etc. make sure the needle fits through those or you can workaround. http://sublimestitching.com/pages/how-to-floss-stripping-conditioning showed me how to comb the thread across a hook piece of velcro for easy separating (though my aunt says that'd be for sissies and it isn't hard once you get the hang of it!) Hope that helps!-Caris

JoeTownsend said...

They are lovely !

sarah said...

Hello. What an amazing job you have done with these!! So of course I found you through Pinterest looking for Jesse Tree ornaments. I would much rather buy some than make them at this stage of the game. Are you selling these at all any place? Blessings Sarah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...